TESOL Week 6 Attribution Tendencies
Now, for a real shift in thinking when learning or teaching a new language. We have a HUGE word we need to consider- ATTRIBUTES. The Google dictionary defines this as:
(verb)
regard something as being caused by.
"He attributed the firm's success to the efforts of the managing director."
(noun)
a quality or feature regarded as a natural or inherent part of something or someone
"flexibility and mobility is the key attributes of Britain's army."
Brother Ivers, a lecturer at Brigham Young University, gave a fascinating lecture on attribution tendencies in culture. We all have attributional tendencies. What causes X to behave like Y? Japanese culture and American culture are on opposite ends of the scale. A Japanese person will attribute their personal success to external forces/people and events and their own failures (internal forces) on themself, while Americans are the exact opposite. He says it is no wonder the Japanese have such a high rate of suicide.
He goes on to talk about the complexity of Religious peoples attributes. This is because their attributes will be influenced by both internal (themselves) and external (God) at the same time.
In his lecture, a question he asked stood out for me: "Are your personal tendencies(attributes) consistent with the surrounding cultural ones?"
I had never thought this deeply on my attributes before. Now I am leaning back and contemplating. What are my attributes? What causes me to act/behave like Y? So let us put this into actual examples.
Would I be upset if someone lied to me? Absolutely, but I would need to know they lied to me.
This ties back to one of my values- I am good and kind and honest- AT ALL TIMES!
Would I be happy if you stood on my toes? Well, this would totally depend on the circumstance. If I was not looking where I was going, then-Yes. If you were talking/busy and had not yet realised that I was behind you and you turned around and apologised immediately, then-Yes. If you deliberately and with intent stood on my toes to inflict pain, then no, I would not be happy, I may even be in tears of pain.
When it comes to teaching, this is quite a deep-seated personality trait to be able to define at the beginning of any relationship, and I am always wary of categorising nationalities into boxes. I would prefer to get to know my students and establish his/her personal attributes as our relationship developed. This means the first few weeks will be one of growth and mutual learning of each other as comfortability will breed learning success.

Sources:
https://video.byui.edu/media/05+Attributional+Tendencies+in+Cultures/0_u45682wd
https://wattersattribution.wordpress.com/bias-in-attribution/
(verb)
regard something as being caused by.
"He attributed the firm's success to the efforts of the managing director."
(noun)
a quality or feature regarded as a natural or inherent part of something or someone
"flexibility and mobility is the key attributes of Britain's army."
Brother Ivers, a lecturer at Brigham Young University, gave a fascinating lecture on attribution tendencies in culture. We all have attributional tendencies. What causes X to behave like Y? Japanese culture and American culture are on opposite ends of the scale. A Japanese person will attribute their personal success to external forces/people and events and their own failures (internal forces) on themself, while Americans are the exact opposite. He says it is no wonder the Japanese have such a high rate of suicide.
He goes on to talk about the complexity of Religious peoples attributes. This is because their attributes will be influenced by both internal (themselves) and external (God) at the same time.
In his lecture, a question he asked stood out for me: "Are your personal tendencies(attributes) consistent with the surrounding cultural ones?"
I had never thought this deeply on my attributes before. Now I am leaning back and contemplating. What are my attributes? What causes me to act/behave like Y? So let us put this into actual examples.
Would I be upset if someone lied to me? Absolutely, but I would need to know they lied to me.
This ties back to one of my values- I am good and kind and honest- AT ALL TIMES!
Would I be happy if you stood on my toes? Well, this would totally depend on the circumstance. If I was not looking where I was going, then-Yes. If you were talking/busy and had not yet realised that I was behind you and you turned around and apologised immediately, then-Yes. If you deliberately and with intent stood on my toes to inflict pain, then no, I would not be happy, I may even be in tears of pain.
When it comes to teaching, this is quite a deep-seated personality trait to be able to define at the beginning of any relationship, and I am always wary of categorising nationalities into boxes. I would prefer to get to know my students and establish his/her personal attributes as our relationship developed. This means the first few weeks will be one of growth and mutual learning of each other as comfortability will breed learning success.

Sources:
https://video.byui.edu/media/05+Attributional+Tendencies+in+Cultures/0_u45682wd
https://wattersattribution.wordpress.com/bias-in-attribution/
You can learn a lot from your students at the beginning of the semester. I'm sure personality traits and attribution tendencies become quite obvious as you get to know them. What have you found helpful when addressing students with lack of personal responsibility or low self-esteem?
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle!
ReplyDeleteAttribution tendencies is a topic to talk for hours! we can attribute the things that happen in our life to 100000 factors. Is important to know this things because it opens our mind to new possibilities. We start to see others with those 100000 possibilities to understand them better.
Nice post:)