TESOL Week 6 Personal Space Differences
Personal Space- I could go on for hours and hours on this topic. As a South African, in our cultural melting pot we have many different "personal bubble spaces", and if you are going to venture out into the general population, where all these cultures are mixed, be prepared to have NO personal bubble space. The African culture is one of close proximity and you will find loud speaking, so others, not in this space can hear you are not talking about them. Hugs, kisses, holding hands, leaning in and over are all very common. This personal space has its roots in our values and the norms of our culture.
Will this have much impact in my TESOL classroom? It does already.
When I am with Grade 3 Xhosa learners, we lean in, not only because we want to hear and understand each other, but this closeness ensures a feeling of contentment, in the learner. I am not afraid to place my hand on his/her back and even take their hands to convey patience and love.
As an actress, I used to spend much time watching people. Reading their body language, so when it was time for me to express something on stage, I had many reference points, other than my own.
The body is the silent communicator, sending out many messages before you have even opened your mouth and part of the language is how you react in situations when your personal space is being invaded.
An excellent communicator knows how to read their audience from the body to the eyes, to the words and a great teacher is usually an excellent communicator and these two cited sources have so much more information to assist you to become even better. Please go read them for some excellent insights. For example, the Berkeley one gives you recommendations for going into a foreign environment, which includes:
1. Ask questions to find out what is or is not appropriate
2. Be observant
3. Think deeper on your observations
4. Share with others what you prefer
and I will add here
5. Just jump in and start doing.
If you really do not have time to go and read and reflect on the articles, I really do mean it when I say just start doing it. It will soon become apparent if your actions are correct or not. Most personal experiences will be forgiven if our cultures are different and an apology is offered. Except when doing business.
In business, you need to do your homework before you make any errors. There is a higher expectation of professionalism in work settings, as opposed to personal settings. When you are being paid to do a job, it is expected that you will deliver on that promise, regardless of the hurdles which are in your way. So if you are with customers from another culture, you are expected to know that culture inside and out and back to front, to achieve success.
As a teacher, you walk the line between these two, so when you have a class packed with different cultures, you would need to know and understand their preferences to ensure learning is achieved in your classroom.
I am very grateful to have knowledge of the Xhosa culture, as it helps me in my teaching experience.
Sources:
https://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/chap9.html
https://cil.berkeley.edu/close-talker-personal-space/
Will this have much impact in my TESOL classroom? It does already.
When I am with Grade 3 Xhosa learners, we lean in, not only because we want to hear and understand each other, but this closeness ensures a feeling of contentment, in the learner. I am not afraid to place my hand on his/her back and even take their hands to convey patience and love.
As an actress, I used to spend much time watching people. Reading their body language, so when it was time for me to express something on stage, I had many reference points, other than my own.
The body is the silent communicator, sending out many messages before you have even opened your mouth and part of the language is how you react in situations when your personal space is being invaded.
An excellent communicator knows how to read their audience from the body to the eyes, to the words and a great teacher is usually an excellent communicator and these two cited sources have so much more information to assist you to become even better. Please go read them for some excellent insights. For example, the Berkeley one gives you recommendations for going into a foreign environment, which includes:
1. Ask questions to find out what is or is not appropriate
2. Be observant
3. Think deeper on your observations
4. Share with others what you prefer
and I will add here
5. Just jump in and start doing.
If you really do not have time to go and read and reflect on the articles, I really do mean it when I say just start doing it. It will soon become apparent if your actions are correct or not. Most personal experiences will be forgiven if our cultures are different and an apology is offered. Except when doing business.
In business, you need to do your homework before you make any errors. There is a higher expectation of professionalism in work settings, as opposed to personal settings. When you are being paid to do a job, it is expected that you will deliver on that promise, regardless of the hurdles which are in your way. So if you are with customers from another culture, you are expected to know that culture inside and out and back to front, to achieve success.
As a teacher, you walk the line between these two, so when you have a class packed with different cultures, you would need to know and understand their preferences to ensure learning is achieved in your classroom.
I am very grateful to have knowledge of the Xhosa culture, as it helps me in my teaching experience.
Sources:
https://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/chap9.html
https://cil.berkeley.edu/close-talker-personal-space/
Comments
Post a Comment