TESOL 103 W05 04/02/20- Response to Cultural Paradigms

We have been tasked with viewing and reflecting on our cultural paradigms and how we may need to shift them as we prepare to teach.
We were asked to view:
 https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/html5/html5lib/v2.80/mwEmbedFrame.php/p/1157612/uiconf_id/43228871/entry_id/0_9w0czg1f?wid=_1157612&iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1539879321&entry_id=0_9w0czg1f
and https://www.ted.com/talks/delali_bright_cultural_clashes_in_defining_beauty
and finally:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0kzF4A-WQ

Living, growing up and working in South Africa has filled my life with an appreciation of cultural differences and the diversity which enriches our society. In my daily life, I will encounter at least four or five different cultures, just by venturing to the shop. South Africa has become a refuge for many who are fleeing their countries, due to war and oppression in upper Africa, and this results in a melting pot of languages and cultures down in the southern tip of Africa.
I have been blessed to learn about teaching effectively from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, of which I have been an active member for years and have filled a teaching role in one calling or another for many of those years.
I learned, years ago, to leave my "judging hat" at home and to wear my "empathetic hat". My way is definitely not the way you may want to be spoken to, your way may not be the one which I appreciate, but until we know each other and understand each other, we cannot judge each other. I cannot judge a person (especially one from another culture) based on my perceptions of right and wrong.
To be an effective teacher I also cannot pass judgement, based on my paradigms, my culture, as Dr Ivers said in his video above, these are "Culturally created false problems!". I need to get to know my students, know their culture and understand what makes them tick. This can be very difficult. I have had to train myself to stop and think, is there a better way to say something, have a breath and always I try and make sure it passes through my "IS THIS KIND" barometer.
One of my favourite authors, Stephen R Covey said, "If you want small changes in your life, work on your attitude. But if you want big and primary changes, work on your paradigm." 
This is a never-ending endeavour, as learning, evolving and becoming the best you can be is a life long mission and not one you can ever sit back from and say "I got this."
The one thing I initially find problematic is the language difference and in the beginning, this does pose quite a challenge as I get to know my new students. Thankfully I have a year with them, so this learning curve has time to play out.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mish,

    All of your suggestions are fantastic. I especially like how you mentioned being kind and not judging. There was a "keeping it real" element when you shared how difficult it can be sometimes, and your quote by Stephen Covey summed it up nicely. Thank you for an insightful and meaningful post.

    Jamie B.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I got hacked!

Mashed!

TESOL Week 7 Culture and Psychology