TESOL 103 W05 04/02/2020- Cultural Differences concerning Time.

We were tasked with viewing the following video done by Bro Ivers:
So I elected for this option from our instructions regarding this viewing:
d. You may post critical questions that you have and attempt to seek answers from your classmates and instructor.

I learned two terminologies:
Polychronic and Monochronic, specifically relating to time and our cultural view on it.
POLYCHRONIC: Time is not sacred, relationships are more important than time and these cultures are a lot more relaxed about following rigid timetables.
MONOCHRONIC: Very time-sensitive. These cultures will never be late, rather early than late and procedures and all that apply to the correct way of doing things is King- no bypassing the system.
First World countries, governed by big corporations, profit and a concept that "time is money".

Living in South Africa I am part of a polychronic culture, where we even have  "South African time" South Africans have a very special relationship with the word "NOW":
right now: more urgent than now and a higher probability of something happening.
now: eventually, maybe later, but definitely NOT now.
now now: shortly, waiting for a time of opportunity to present itself.
just now:  later- this is an unknown amount of time.
I know the Spanish have a saying "Muente"- meaning "tomorrow is another day".
In the USA is there any special sayings or terminologies which highlight that the culture is a monochronic one, like the examples I have given you for South Africa?
I must just point out that personally, I am monochronic, I am always early for appointments and I was brought up with the analogy that time is sacred, so if people have made time for you, be sure not insult them by being late.
Your thoughts?????????

Comments

  1. The "South African time" is fascinating! In America, when I tell my children to get it done "now", that means immediately. If I have to say "right now", it's usually to put emphasis on the need for immediacy. We have phrases such as:
    In a little bit or a little while: later, but not too long
    Later: I feel this one is a general brush off for things we don't want to do. If I tell my kids later, it is pushed off until I set a specific time to do it.
    Just a minute: Usually means a short time later. I'm busy right this second, but let me finish and then I will get to it.

    In the business world, I've heard the phrase "Time is money", meaning when we waste time, we waste money or vice versa. I was raised the same way you were - if you have an appointment, you show up early so people are not waiting on you. That's the monochronic side of me coming out, while the polychronic side allows me to be understanding when other people are late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    I can think of the sign that was on President Spencer W. Kimball's desk when he was the prophet. It said "Do It Now." I wonder how South Africans interpreted it!
    I tend to be more polychronic in my view of time. I am grateful for the more flexible schedule that is here in our TESOL class, where I can get the assignment done a little ahead of time and have time to do other things as well.
    My husband is very Monochronic, and my lax attitude toward deadlines drives him crazy. I guess that I should be more like him in some things (just to keep him happy!).
    I agree with alb's comment that "later" is a way to put off something, especially when dealing with kids.
    I enjoyed reading about your experiences in South Africa!
    Viki

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, this is my first time checking out your blog and it's gorgeous, I love it! Also I think Alb pretty much answered the question about terms in the United States. Just like the video said, American time is very monochronic, so we mean what we say in regards most the time. I was also raised that it's insulting to ever be on someone else's time and waste it in any way. If you make an appointment you keep it or give ample amount of time to cancel. It's interesting to think how South Africans would use their words for the time, that's really cool. Since just now is kind of a vague term, I'm curious, how would you use it in a sentence, or situation?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I got hacked!

Mashed!

TESOL Week 7 Culture and Psychology