TESOL 103 Week 6-Differences in Emotional Expressivity
So for this next week of TESOL, we continue with the cultural aspect of a persons make-up and we have been tasked with viewing this lecture from Bro Ivers of Brigham Young University:
https://video.byui.edu/media/05+Differences+in+Emotional+Expressivity/0_753le546
I found this lecture focussed mainly on America, but Bro Ivers did occasionally touch on other cultures. Japan is a very closed culture and they have a low tolerance for emotional expressivity. On the other end of the scale are African Americans who are dynamic and expressive. Japanese culture has evolved over the years, but still remain one that does not affect public displays of affection (PDA's), whereas the Americans are not shy to hug, kiss and some couples may even display too much affection in public. I feel this is the case in many cultures, as the youth "move with the times" and PDA's should really be behind closed doors.
In my homeland South Africa, we are a melting pot of many different African cultures and also the traditions imported from all over the world, British, Irish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Chinese and our homegrown Afrikaans culture.
Young Xhosa children are not allowed to look an elder in the eyes, it is a sign of aggression and disrespect, this is very different when they reach school and are taught they need to engage with their listeners and people they are communicating with. This needs to be understood by non-Africans, as one can become offended when these children are not looking you in the eyes.
One African custom I love is the African Handshake, please watch the below video and appreciate its richness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_tkzUjtIU.
I am a hugger. I love the breaking of the "personal bubble space" as I move in for a comforting hug. But there are many people who are offended by hugs and I always ask before I give you your first hug.
To be an effective communicator, you need to understand your audience, once you have investigated and feel you know them, insults are avoided, because you have identified the most correct way to engage with them.
https://video.byui.edu/media/05+Differences+in+Emotional+Expressivity/0_753le546
I found this lecture focussed mainly on America, but Bro Ivers did occasionally touch on other cultures. Japan is a very closed culture and they have a low tolerance for emotional expressivity. On the other end of the scale are African Americans who are dynamic and expressive. Japanese culture has evolved over the years, but still remain one that does not affect public displays of affection (PDA's), whereas the Americans are not shy to hug, kiss and some couples may even display too much affection in public. I feel this is the case in many cultures, as the youth "move with the times" and PDA's should really be behind closed doors.
In my homeland South Africa, we are a melting pot of many different African cultures and also the traditions imported from all over the world, British, Irish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Chinese and our homegrown Afrikaans culture.
Young Xhosa children are not allowed to look an elder in the eyes, it is a sign of aggression and disrespect, this is very different when they reach school and are taught they need to engage with their listeners and people they are communicating with. This needs to be understood by non-Africans, as one can become offended when these children are not looking you in the eyes.
One African custom I love is the African Handshake, please watch the below video and appreciate its richness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_tkzUjtIU.
I am a hugger. I love the breaking of the "personal bubble space" as I move in for a comforting hug. But there are many people who are offended by hugs and I always ask before I give you your first hug.
To be an effective communicator, you need to understand your audience, once you have investigated and feel you know them, insults are avoided, because you have identified the most correct way to engage with them.
Michelle,
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy learning from you about South Africa. We often, here in America, misinterpret other cultures because of expressivity issues. I am sure that my nephews' wives (who are from Brazil) feel like Americans are rather cold and stand-offish compared to those in Brazil. I liked watching the African handshake. I love that they touch their hearts to show connection! What a great way to "express emotion!"
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Michelle! I live in a very white, western community with little diversity. I grew up outside of San Francisco, CA and then outside of Denver, CO where people were much more diverse and expressive than they are where I live now, so I have had to teach my children that things are very different outside of our little valley. Sometimes I wish we had a little more cultural diversity here, just so we could all be a little more open-minded and accepting!
ReplyDeleteMich, you're so right, it is really important to simply communicate so people get can where you're coming from. I'm a hugger too, so we would get a long haha! I loved the video you shared, seeing the culture is super cool!
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle
ReplyDeleteI think we all have the same emotions and in private we all express our emotions in a similar way. But in public, we're very dissimilar in the way we express our emotions. To be different is not similar to be wrong and I like the idea that we can learn from the variety. Don’t worry when misinterpreting others’ feelings, let’s be open and tolerate differences could be a piece of good advice.